Generating ideas (P1, M1 - U21)
Learning Outcome 1 (U21): Be able to generate ideas for an original media product based on a client brief (P1:U21, M1:U21)
How I have interpreted the clients brief and requirements.
Having analysed the brief it is clear that I have to create a front cover and a double page spread. The clients brief has been written to be very straight forward and it is fairly easy to understand the tasks we have been asked to complete. The London Magazine would like me to sell my magazine across all areas of London, if it is successful. It is clear that I have to research the music that is most popular in North London. Not only the music being played but also the venues where music is being played in North London.
Explicit requirements -The magazine will need to be designed well with interesting content on various musicians. It will also need to cover all concert venues in North London. The magazine must have an online and print format and the magazine will focus on music in North London.
Implicit requirements - Readers of my magazine want to be kept updated with music artists, whether they have launched a new album or have published details about concert tours. They also want to know who are the up and coming musicians.
I must include my pre-production when planning my magazine e.g. location forms that will give me permission to take photos that will be used in my magazine.
First thoughts following my interpretation
The first thoughts that come to my mind are different music genres, music festivals that are scheduled for the year and various venues in North London. I would like to interview artists and also their fans. Be involved in the backstage of their concerts. I will also review their latest albums.
I will be visiting various venues in North London and rating their suitability to host a concert of a particular artist.
Three Key Ideas:
One: I could go to festivals that are taking place in North London to take different pictures, which links to one brief requirement. I will not only take pictures I will also analyse the different genres that are being played throughout the festival. Other locations I will be looking at are arenas. I will analyse what sort of genres are being played more frequently then others in North London. I would like to have a picture on the double page spread of people dancing in the crowd to upbeat music that is being played on the stage. The writing should have a font that expresses that the information is going to be fun yet interesting to read as the target audience are teenagers and young adult who are interested in music and interested in music festivals with all types of genres. The price of this magazine would be £3. If you take a subscription the price will reduce to £1.50.
An advantage of taking pictures at festivals is that lighting tends to be much better outside during the day than indoors. However, a disadvantage is that it could start raining and the equipment could get wet. This would be terrible as the camera is worth lots of money.
Two: Another idea would be to create a rap magazine. To be able to do this I will need to either go to a festival or arena to take pictures of rappers that are performing. A possible idea could be to dress my artist in black clothing that a rapper could wear. I could take a photo of them just in front of a brick wall, I think this would suit the genre. Having an actor would be very helpful. This is because you can tell them exactly how to pose for a picture and I could also arrange where I want to take the picture. If I were to use a famous rapper the only chance I would get to take a picture is at a concert. For the double page spread I would like to take a picture of a rapper next to a brick wall or an area with lots of graffiti. I think the font should be something that is considered cool by teens and young adults. This is because the target audience for this magazine would be teenagers and young adults who are interested in the rap genre.The price of this magazine would be £3. If you take a subscription the price will reduce to £1.50. It will also be available online, therefore the magazine will be both in printed and online format which links to the brief.
An advantage of using a real rapper is that it may appeal more to a rap audience as they are more likely to buy a magazine with a picture of a popular rapper, fans would like to find out more about them. A disadvantage would be that if I were to go to an event that will be attended by lots of people the camera may appeal to some individuals and the equipment may get stolen or damaged.
An advantage of taking a picture of a band that may not be considered very popular is that i will be able to take a picture of the band in an intimate environment making it look like as if I had exclusive access to the band. One disadvantage of taking a picture of the band on stage may be that there will be visual effects that can have negative effects on the quality of my picture. Another disadvantage would be that in a small venue I will not be able to get access to a very popular band.
Strengths and weaknesses of Ideas
Conclusion:
Idea number two seems to be the one that I am the most inclined to use. This is because I feel that I have the most creative ideas in this genre of music. This is also the least expensive project as I can take pictures of an actor. Pricing my magazine around £3 will also be affordable for my target audience.
I have chosen to create a magazine based on Rap music as this is a very popular genre in North London, therefore I will be able to create a popular brand and this ties in with the brief requirements.
I will also be able to use original content and imagery, which again is a brief requirement.
I plan on creating both a print and online edition.
The first idea was rejected because the English weather is unpredictable and it is possible that it may rain. This could damage the equipment and also pictures taken will not be of great quality. Festivals are normally held in large open spaces which make it difficult to take a good photo.
I have also decided not to proceed with idea number three as the rock genre is not hugely popular in North London for my target audience focus, and I wouldn't have much in common with the audience.




Comments
Post a Comment