Create a proposal and pitch for a media product (P1, P2, M1 - U3. P2 - U21)
Learning outcome 1 (U3): Be able to create a proposal with sample materials for an original media product to a client brief. Learning Outcome 2 (U21): Be able to create a proposal and pitch for an original media product based on a given brief
Rhymes Proposal
Purpose
I have decided to call my magazine Rhymes. This name was given as most rap songs are known for having words that rhyme with each other and most of the time have hidden messages within their lyrics.
Content
Rhymes will contain interviews and questionnaires from rappers who are trying to make a name for them selves. These rappers are all from North London. They will be talking about their personal experiences and their inspiration that made them want to become rappers.
Rhymes Proposal
Purpose
I have decided to call my magazine Rhymes. This name was given as most rap songs are known for having words that rhyme with each other and most of the time have hidden messages within their lyrics.
Form and genre
Rhymes is a rap magazine. I have chosen this genre as from my research I found that this was a very popular North London genre and currently there are no rap based magazines available. This creates a USP. My target audience are teenagers/young adults and this genre is popular amongst this age group and more specifically in North London.
Its objective is to entertain people who are interested in the rap industry. It will inform the readers where the specific rapper would be making an appearance for a concert in the near future. Rhymes will have a dedicated section where the readers will find exclusive information on different rappers on how they where brought up, where they lived and how they became what they currently are.
Its objective is to entertain people who are interested in the rap industry. It will inform the readers where the specific rapper would be making an appearance for a concert in the near future. Rhymes will have a dedicated section where the readers will find exclusive information on different rappers on how they where brought up, where they lived and how they became what they currently are.
Readers of Rhymes will be able to purchase the magazine in stores located all around North London
(Islington, Enfield, Camden and Barnet). The magazine will have information about
different rappers and their journeys so far to show people how they got to
where they are now. The magazine will cost £3. This is because printing a magazine is
expensive as well as cost of paper. The company needs to ensure that the magazine will be profitable. Every Friday ahead of the weekend a new issue of the magazine will be distributed. Readers will be able to subscribe to Rhymes. If you do take a subscription out the reader will pay less than £3 per issue. The magazine will cost £1.50 if a subscription is taken. The magazine will be environmentally friendly as it is fully dissolvable.
Content
Rhymes will contain interviews and questionnaires from rappers who are trying to make a name for them selves. These rappers are all from North London. They will be talking about their personal experiences and their inspiration that made them want to become rappers.
Each section of Rhymes (including one that is specific to people who
listen to music on the go) will feature an editorial and a paid
advertisement page that will promote a specific pair of beats. This is because beats is heavily connected to the music industry and lots of young people own one.
The
back of the magazine will have a section which will be dedicated to venues or festival locations at which rappers will be performing at in 2018, such as Wireless 2018.
My justifications for these decisions is that it will link with the target audience. Teenagers may find a pair of beats very useful in their day. For example, when they are on their way to and from school. The content links with the target audience as the rappers themselves are only a few years older if not the same age as the audience and so could easily relate.
My justifications for these decisions is that it will link with the target audience. Teenagers may find a pair of beats very useful in their day. For example, when they are on their way to and from school. The content links with the target audience as the rappers themselves are only a few years older if not the same age as the audience and so could easily relate.
Target audience
The primary target audience for Rhymes will be teenage males and females aged
18-24. This is the age group that is most likely to listen to rap. The older generation my also listen to rap however, after researching the demographics I have found out that it is a much more popular genre with the younger generation. The area of this target audience is North London. This is because all of the issues of Rhymes are only going to be sold in North London for the time being.
The race and ethnicity of my target audience will be primarily targeting young black adults as this is stereotypically the main audience who listen to Rap music.
Their social class would fall into C2DE as the price of my magazine will be around £3.
The secondary target audience will be adults. This will be males and females aged 26-30. The reason for having this age group was because when these people where in their teenage years rap had started to become more popular and so the genre may still appeal to them. This is because all of the issues of Rhymes are only going to be sold in North London for the time being.
Distribution
These magazines can be bought in many corner shops in North London. Rhymes will be sold in corner shops particularly surrounding venues that musicians perform at. This is because these are the prime ares you would attract someone from your target audience.
The most challenging part will be to get people to hear about Rhymes. The magazine will need to be promoted to the target audience in several different ways. Pilot issues of Rhymes will be distributed free of charge to people attending rap concerts as well as colleges and universities. It will also be distributed to nightclubs.
A potential competitor is the Time Out magazine. However, Time Out will not threaten the Rhymes magazine because Time Out does not specifically follow the rap scene. Time Out informs readers what is happening in all of London but not just on the rap scene but other genres as well.
Another competitor that Rhymes have is XXL. XXL is a direct competitor as its focus is on rap music and rap artist similarly to Rhymes. However, their focus is global and sold worldwide and Rhymes' focus and sell mainly in the North London area - which will target a direct audience.
I plan to directly compete against the above magazines by offering a range of different advertisements relating to music products.
The title of Rhymes will of course be Rhymes. It will be in a bold clear font so it is easy to see. This will prevent people from not knowing what magazine they will be buying, or if looking for the magazine in a shop.
Resources and personnel
For this task that I have been asked to do I would need to have different types of people and resources to help me complete this work. The resources I would need are photoshop, a camera and a tripod. The reason for using photoshop is that it allows me to design a front cover and double page spread. A camera is needed to take photos that will go on my front cover and double page spread and the tripod is going to be set up to assure that the pictures that are taken are of high quality.
Props are other resources that I will need so that I can show that it is of a Rap genre - examples of this include a hoodie and more specifically a dark colour so that it links to my genre.
The personnel I will need is someone who will be able to be a model of my front cover and double page spread. I will need to ask a friend or family member to model of the magazine. I will also need an editor and a writer. For the purposes of the first issue, I will be taking on all the roles as this will keep costs down and allow me to promote the magazine by myself.
I will be using a camera and image editing software such as Photoshop as the brief states that I have to include original content. By doing this I will meet the requirement of the brief.
Article ideas
The article could be about new albums that are being released by the up and coming rappers from North London. This would attract the target audience and people who are bored of the music that they are currently or have been listening too for a while. This can encourage them to have a look at new types of songs.
One more article idea could be that I interview new up and coming rappers from North London. I could find out how their up bringing was and how they decided to become a rapper. This would interest people who enjoy listening to music from the rap genre. This is because rappers tend to have interesting up bringing and they rap about this in their music.
The final idea is that I could review a North London rappers music. This could interest the target audience because they may want to find out what everyone else thinks for this certain rappers music or they may have never heard of the person before and want to find out if there music is good. They could find opinions inside Rhymes.
My justification for this decision is that it may also widen the interests of the audience. The audience may not have heard if certain rappers that are spoken about in Rhymes. If readers listen to a rappers music that they have never heard of before and enjoy it then it is likely that they will be buying more issues of Rhymes in the future.
Marketing
Rhymes is a musical magazine, therefore, promoting Beats headphones is a good idea. This is because would attract the same target audience and so would be very likely to interest the reader. The reason for promoting beats is that it links well with the music magazine, they attract a very similar audience because Beats are used to listen to music. They are also a popular brand which is recognised by the target audience. In return for Rhymes promoting Beats, Beats can promote Rhymes using their social media pages. Social media that can be used are Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The company could pay for the advertising for Rhymes on websites. This is because teenagers are the most common users of the internet and so advertising on websites that are used often by teenagers such as social media channels more specifically Instagram. Pop up ads could also be used to promote Rhymes. Websites such as Spotify could promote Rhymes. This links to the target audience as Spotify is a very used by teenagers as it allows you to listen to any genre of music you want. However, this may be an option that may be unrealistic as the magazine would not have been established as commonly known. Therefore, it would possibly be a waste of money.
Rhymes could advertise themselves on Spotify. They can do this by making a playlist that will link to content and artists that will be spoken about on the issues of Rhymes. The playlist should also be called Rhymes. This is because "rhymes" is a commonly used word in the music world and so it is likely to be typed into Spotify often. It is likely that some Spotify users will run into the Rhymes playlist unintentionally.
SWOT Analysis
Strengths
The colours that I am using have been proven to be very popular within the rap genre. black, yellow and red.
I am a very good writer so the double page spread will be written well.
I have very creative ideas so I think that the front cover and the double page spread will be made to look very presentable.
Weaknesses
The audience may not be very large (niche).
The magazine will only attract people who enjoy listening or reading about artists in the rap genre.
Opportunities
Rhymes is the only rap magazine that specialises in North London rap.
Rhymes is one of the few rap magazines being sold in North London areas.
Threats
Well known competitors that specials in creating rap magazines such as XXL.
Moodboard:
I created this moodboard as it shows different rap artists and will give me an idea of different colours and props.

Fonts
FONTS
The fonts I intend to use:
Masthead fonts - I have chosen this font for my masthead because I believe it is suitable for the rap genre. The font is gothic and I think it will attract the target audience to read the magazine. My research suggests that having a font that stands out will engage the customer to want to read the magazine.

Cover line font - I have chosen this font because it seems to be well suited for the rap genre as this is also a gothic font. However, it is a good cover line font as not only is it gothic it so also very easy to read.
Double page spread font - Arial
I have chosen this font because it is very easy to read. My research has taught me that a double page spread needs to be easy to read as there is lots of text so it needs to be clear. I know that the size for this font needs to be around 10.
Front cover sketch

Double page spread sketch

PLEASE NOTE, SAMPLE MATERIALS ARE ON THE PRE-PRODUCTION DOCUMENTS BLOG POST.
The race and ethnicity of my target audience will be primarily targeting young black adults as this is stereotypically the main audience who listen to Rap music.
Their social class would fall into C2DE as the price of my magazine will be around £3.
The secondary target audience will be adults. This will be males and females aged 26-30. The reason for having this age group was because when these people where in their teenage years rap had started to become more popular and so the genre may still appeal to them. This is because all of the issues of Rhymes are only going to be sold in North London for the time being.
Distribution
These magazines can be bought in many corner shops in North London. Rhymes will be sold in corner shops particularly surrounding venues that musicians perform at. This is because these are the prime ares you would attract someone from your target audience.
The most challenging part will be to get people to hear about Rhymes. The magazine will need to be promoted to the target audience in several different ways. Pilot issues of Rhymes will be distributed free of charge to people attending rap concerts as well as colleges and universities. It will also be distributed to nightclubs.
My justification for this decision is that the distribution links to the target audience. The target audience is teenagers and young adults. These are the type of people you are likely to find in universities and colleges. Teenagers and young adults who are likely to be interested in Rhymes can be found in nightclubs. This is because people who find pleasure in music tend to go to nightclubs for enjoyment.
Competitors - Examples and explanationA potential competitor is the Time Out magazine. However, Time Out will not threaten the Rhymes magazine because Time Out does not specifically follow the rap scene. Time Out informs readers what is happening in all of London but not just on the rap scene but other genres as well.
Another competitor that Rhymes have is XXL. XXL is a direct competitor as its focus is on rap music and rap artist similarly to Rhymes. However, their focus is global and sold worldwide and Rhymes' focus and sell mainly in the North London area - which will target a direct audience.
I plan to directly compete against the above magazines by offering a range of different advertisements relating to music products.
The title of Rhymes will of course be Rhymes. It will be in a bold clear font so it is easy to see. This will prevent people from not knowing what magazine they will be buying, or if looking for the magazine in a shop.
Resources and personnel
For this task that I have been asked to do I would need to have different types of people and resources to help me complete this work. The resources I would need are photoshop, a camera and a tripod. The reason for using photoshop is that it allows me to design a front cover and double page spread. A camera is needed to take photos that will go on my front cover and double page spread and the tripod is going to be set up to assure that the pictures that are taken are of high quality.
Props are other resources that I will need so that I can show that it is of a Rap genre - examples of this include a hoodie and more specifically a dark colour so that it links to my genre.
The personnel I will need is someone who will be able to be a model of my front cover and double page spread. I will need to ask a friend or family member to model of the magazine. I will also need an editor and a writer. For the purposes of the first issue, I will be taking on all the roles as this will keep costs down and allow me to promote the magazine by myself.
I will be using a camera and image editing software such as Photoshop as the brief states that I have to include original content. By doing this I will meet the requirement of the brief.
Article ideas
The article could be about new albums that are being released by the up and coming rappers from North London. This would attract the target audience and people who are bored of the music that they are currently or have been listening too for a while. This can encourage them to have a look at new types of songs.
One more article idea could be that I interview new up and coming rappers from North London. I could find out how their up bringing was and how they decided to become a rapper. This would interest people who enjoy listening to music from the rap genre. This is because rappers tend to have interesting up bringing and they rap about this in their music.
The final idea is that I could review a North London rappers music. This could interest the target audience because they may want to find out what everyone else thinks for this certain rappers music or they may have never heard of the person before and want to find out if there music is good. They could find opinions inside Rhymes.
My justification for this decision is that it may also widen the interests of the audience. The audience may not have heard if certain rappers that are spoken about in Rhymes. If readers listen to a rappers music that they have never heard of before and enjoy it then it is likely that they will be buying more issues of Rhymes in the future.
Marketing
Rhymes is a musical magazine, therefore, promoting Beats headphones is a good idea. This is because would attract the same target audience and so would be very likely to interest the reader. The reason for promoting beats is that it links well with the music magazine, they attract a very similar audience because Beats are used to listen to music. They are also a popular brand which is recognised by the target audience. In return for Rhymes promoting Beats, Beats can promote Rhymes using their social media pages. Social media that can be used are Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The company could pay for the advertising for Rhymes on websites. This is because teenagers are the most common users of the internet and so advertising on websites that are used often by teenagers such as social media channels more specifically Instagram. Pop up ads could also be used to promote Rhymes. Websites such as Spotify could promote Rhymes. This links to the target audience as Spotify is a very used by teenagers as it allows you to listen to any genre of music you want. However, this may be an option that may be unrealistic as the magazine would not have been established as commonly known. Therefore, it would possibly be a waste of money.
Rhymes could advertise themselves on Spotify. They can do this by making a playlist that will link to content and artists that will be spoken about on the issues of Rhymes. The playlist should also be called Rhymes. This is because "rhymes" is a commonly used word in the music world and so it is likely to be typed into Spotify often. It is likely that some Spotify users will run into the Rhymes playlist unintentionally.
SWOT Analysis
Strengths
The colours that I am using have been proven to be very popular within the rap genre. black, yellow and red.
I am a very good writer so the double page spread will be written well.
I have very creative ideas so I think that the front cover and the double page spread will be made to look very presentable.
Weaknesses
The audience may not be very large (niche).
The magazine will only attract people who enjoy listening or reading about artists in the rap genre.
Opportunities
Rhymes is the only rap magazine that specialises in North London rap.
Rhymes is one of the few rap magazines being sold in North London areas.
Threats
Well known competitors that specials in creating rap magazines such as XXL.
Moodboard:
I created this moodboard as it shows different rap artists and will give me an idea of different colours and props.

Fonts
FONTS
The fonts I intend to use:
Masthead fonts - I have chosen this font for my masthead because I believe it is suitable for the rap genre. The font is gothic and I think it will attract the target audience to read the magazine. My research suggests that having a font that stands out will engage the customer to want to read the magazine.

Cover line font - I have chosen this font because it seems to be well suited for the rap genre as this is also a gothic font. However, it is a good cover line font as not only is it gothic it so also very easy to read.
Double page spread font - Arial
I have chosen this font because it is very easy to read. My research has taught me that a double page spread needs to be easy to read as there is lots of text so it needs to be clear. I know that the size for this font needs to be around 10.
Front cover sketch
Double page spread sketch
PLEASE NOTE, SAMPLE MATERIALS ARE ON THE PRE-PRODUCTION DOCUMENTS BLOG POST.



Comments
Post a Comment